Monday, December 20, 2010

Nike Bomba Finale Review

After the preview of the Nike Bomba Finale which I put up just about a month ago, I've finally gotten around to posting the actual review of the boots. The Nike Bomba Finale's are the first pair of turf cleats I've ever used, and I'll certainly be using them for quite some time because they are fantastic.

Breaking them in


The Nike Bomba Finale's were comfortable right from the start. I had no problems at all the first time I wore them to practice, and I really like the feel of the Kanga-Lite upper. The cleats have a wonderful feeling all around; they are snug, and probably more comfortable than most cleats I've ever had. No problems at all breaking them in, and a couple days after my first practice with them, I used them in a game and scored. Always a good sign.

On field performance


Regarding the performance on the field, these cleats were impeccable. Playing on turf I had no trouble at all with these cleats, and I didn't have the feeling that I was sinking into the ground anymore. The circular studs at the bottom really help when you change directions, making it simple to accelerate past defenders without slipping.

I mentioned above that I really like the Kanga-Lite upper. While at first I found it a little unique and weird, it grew on me, and now I think that it's a genius idea by Nike. While you can feel that the material isn't thick, it is completely waterproof along with being lighter than traditional Kangaroo leather. It just took some time to get used to it, but now I really think that it is the best synthetic material on the market.

Finishing off the "On field performance" section, I was really impressed by how these performed. The "turf-guard" on the front is effective at stopping little turf bits from creeping between the outsole and the upper (eventually causing the boot to split apart), and the higher heel also keeps the turf bits out from getting inside your cleats. I'm going to say it again for any doubters that don't like synthetic materials instead of classic leather, the Kanga-Lite upper is fantastic. While it isn't Kangaroo leather, it doesn't suck up water, and it still provides a great feel on the ball.

Pass Pad and Shot Shield


In my preview I discussed that I wasn't sure if these two features were going to be as cool and useful as they looked. I always believe that what some call "gimmicks", even if they don't work, have a psychological effect (almost like a placebo effect) which still helps out.

In my opinion, the pass pad and the shot shield did make a difference. I found distributing the ball easier with the pass pad, along with receiving and controlling easier because the hexagonal pattern took off some of the spin from the ball. The shot shield was also useful in beating the keeper to score a goal, it helped keep my shot low and hard instead of flying over the bar. These two features are certainly awesome, but even without them these boots are fantastic.

Final Judgement


I decided to skip the section regarding negatives/cons, mainly because there are none for me. I've encountered no problems at all so far, and they're certainly my favorite pair of cleats right now. Everything about these boots is tailored for perfection. The Kanga-Lite upper keeps them light and waterproof while giving you control, the "turf guard on the front along with the raised heel were genius inovations for keeping turf bits out of your shoes, and the pass pad and shot shield were cherries on top of an already excellent cake.

I really recommend these boots if you're looking for a pair of turf cleats, and if you're looking to order online, I got mine from Kitbag. Excellent service from the UK company, I'll certainly be using them again.

6 comments:

  1. Great Review! I am about to get a pair of Nike5 Bomba Finale's but I can't decide what size because I don't know if they run big or small. I wear size 10US in the Mercurial Talaria IV and that fits just about right, maybe a little snug, and I have wide feet, what size should I get in the Bomba Finale's? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tobi, regarding the sizing, if you have any other Nike5 shoes (Lunargato, elastico, Zoom, etc.) which fit you well, then you should get the Bomba Finale's in the same size as those.

    Personally, although I wear a size 10 for everything, I find them a bit snug. They're not uncomfortable, they just feel a bit padded around the laces/metatarsal area of my foot. As for space lengthwise, for me the size 10 has been perfect.

    While the size 10 seems like a good fit for you, try and see if a store near you has a pair to try on. Even if they're the Nike Bomba Pro's, it is still good to see how the Nike5 range fits on you.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you think about the Nike Trequartista II AG soccer cleat and this one? which one would you recomend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never worn a pair of the CTR 360 range, so I can't say for sure. All I know is that these are the best pair of turf cleats I've had, and they're still holding up wonderfully with no problems. Then again, I've heard great things about the Nike Trequartista, so it's ultimately up to you.

    Thanks for them comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol it's not available any more in nike US store, just the bomba pro....

    ReplyDelete
  6. The whole Bomba range is a step down from their previous T-5 and T-7s. I find this shoe alright and isnt bad in any areas, but doesnt excel very much in any areas either, apart from being comfortable and easy to break in like this review mentioned. However the Bomba Pro is truly awful, and would impede your game!

    I would advise anyone to get the T5/7s or Nike 5 Zooms if they can get hold of them as they were incredible for me especially on astro turf fields. Extremely light and easy to turn and accelerate with rapidly, giving you that little extra that makes the difference, and with the added toe-punt technology feature it gives you a lethal boot. (Only downside in comparison to the later models was they lacked a bit of protection, if someone stepped on your feet you would feel it.

    To summarize:

    AVOID THE BOMBA PRO, consider the Bomba Finale, search for the T-5 or T-7 or Nike Zooms.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails